Summary of the 2018 Challenge. This year there were 171 participants and 64 finishers. This compares to 74 participants (and 25 finishers) last year and 55 (35) in 2016. We think all the participants are winners because they probably explored some trails they hadn't been on before!
A few photos submitted by 2018 participants
WHAT: Welcome to the 2018 Conejo Open Space Challenge! From March 1st through May 31st we are challenging mountain bikers, hikers, trail runners and equestrians of all ages to experience ten of the best and most beautiful multi-use trails in the Conejo Open Space. This is a "virtual" event, where you take photos along trails and tweet, Instagram or e-mail them in for validation to show you have completed trail segments. Alternatively, you can e-mail links to GPS tracks indicating completion.
WHY: Our goal is to create a unique fundraiser event to benefit the Conejo Open Space Conservation Agency (COSCA) on open space property that involves all trail users from people completely unfamiliar with the trails to long time veterans. COSCA is the agency entrusted with the responsibility of preserving, protecting and managing open space resources in the Conejo Valley, and manages and maintains all of the trails featured in this event. For more information about COSCA, visit http://www.conejo-openspace.org or https://www.facebook.com/ConejoOpenSpace/. Please consider supporting COSCA by making a tax deductible donation to the Conejo Open Space Foundation at http://www.cosf.org/donate/ and by participating in one of their many volunteer opportunities available throughout the year.
And please remember...
- This isn’t a race, but a challenge to complete all of the segments during the specified time.
- Please follow all open space rules posted at trailheads.
- Please do not ride/hike when the trails are muddy as it damages the trails.
- How you experience the trails – on foot, wheels, or horseback, or any combination of the three – is totally up to you.
- Tweet photos to @COSchallenge or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org for validation. You are also welcome to e-mail GPS tracks to verify completion.
- There is also an Instagram Contest - rules are below.
- All participants who complete the segments by May 31st will be entered into a raffle for prizes donated by our sponsors. There will be additional prizes for the three best overall photos (best photo winners don’t need to complete all segments to be eligible for prizes).
Prizes include a pair of shoes from RoadRunner Sports, products from REI and Newbury Park Bike Shop, and gift cards from JOi Café and Billy D’z BBQ!
How to get started:
- Get out your camera, smartphone, or GPS device (and hiking boots, running shoes, bike, or horse).
- Refer to the hyperlinks with each trail to get maps.
- Ride, Hike, Run or Horseback ride all of the trail segments in the challenge between March 1st and May 31st.
- For validation, (1) tweet your photos with the tag @coschallenge, or (2) e-mail your trail photos, or (3) e-mail links to GPS tracks to Steve Bacharach at email@example.com.
- Follow us on Instagram @coschallenge, Snap a photo on any of the featured trails in the 2018 Open Space Challenge in the Conejo Open Space, Share your submission(s) using #conejoopenspace #roadrunnersports and @coschallenge and be sure to tell your friends so you get more likes, Win a pair of shoes from Road Runner Sports. Entries are judged on a mix of creativity and number of likes… so spread the word about your submission(s).
- Please consider supporting COSCA by making a tax deductible donation to the Conejo Open Space Foundation http://www.cosf.org/donate/ and by participating in one of the many volunteer opportunities available throughout the year.
- Win awesome prizes donated by our sponsors.
- Attend our event post-party (more info later).